Why is April a great time to visit Mandina lodges?
Blog > Why is April a great time to visit Mandina lodges?
Located on a tributary of The River Gambia in the heart of Makasutu Forest, holidays to Mandina Lodges during April offer long hours of sunshine, low humidity, and plenty of wildlife to enjoy.
Spring is a great time of year to visit The Gambia. Things are slowing down (not that they were ever fast!) and the beaches and restaurants become quieter. April is one of the hottest months of the year, and though just slightly cooler than March, temperature highs are still around 32⁰C on average. Humidity remains low and sunshine hours remain long, about 10 hours a day (compared with just 5 in London and a chilly 13⁰ C).
At Mandina Lodges, about an hour’s drive inland from the coast, no one has told the baboons to slow down as they carry on exploring the forest around the lodges.
The summer rains are still a couple of months away and the countryside is dry. Birds flock to sources of water including the lodge’s swimming pool. For birdwatchers it’s a fabulous time to relax by the pool and let the birds come to you!
Lawrence, one of the founders of Mandina, has been away from The Gambia for a few months, but is returning in April. We wanted to find out what he’s been missing most about The Gambia during spring time and Mandina Lodges in general…
- The perfect climate – in April the skies are clear and blue, and the daytime temperatures are warm enough to keep the pool the ideal temperature for a refreshing swim while the nights aren’t as yet too hot.
- I miss my dogs and also the wildlife; from the cheeky baboons to the egrets roosting, which can be seen out on the river at dusk.
- At this time of year there’s a special light around Mandina offering perfect photo opportunities of the lodge and the birds, as well as the fishermen out on the river.
- I miss the freshly prepared food and the smiling staff, many of whom are like family to me.
- The peace and quiet after the traffic in England. At Mandina there’s a sense of being away from it all, yet still with many of the creature comforts we all enjoy.
- I also miss simply sitting and sharing conversations in the evenings with our guests, with a backing track of the sounds of Africa all around us.
April is a wonderful time of year to visit The Gambia and Mandina Lodges. Imagine leisurely walks through the forest with your guide, canoeing along the waterways, watching the sunset as hordes of egrets come into roost, or simply relaxing by the pool watching the birds come and go. That’s our idea of heaven, perhaps it’s yours too?
Find out more about a holiday to Mandina Lodges.
A Traditional West African Wedding Celebration Read more
The 10 best things about Mandina Lodges, Makasutu Read more
West African Honeymoon - Part 1 - Mandina Lodges Read more